(CMC) – LEFT-ARM spinner Nikita Miller says he is anxious to return to the cut and thrust of the Regional Four-Day Championship and is hoping his recent international stint with West Indies will serve as personal inspiration for the remaining rounds of the competition.The 35-year-old played his first One-Day International in nearly three years, when he turned out in the final game of the three-match series on Boxing Day, which the Windies lost by 66 runs under Duckworth/Lewis.With three rounds of the first class season remaining, Miller said it was important he hit the ground running once he returned to action with Jamaica Scorpions.“There are three games left in the current first class season and I think we’re mid-table so I’m looking forward to going back and helping the team,” said Miller who captains the franchise.“When I left home I was the leading bowler for my team and second in the league so hopefully I can go back and contribute some wickets and also some runs as well.“When I left I had a half-century as well so hopefully I can take this experience at this level of facing Trent Boult in good form … and apply it to the first class season and prepare myself for the (World Cup) qualifiers.”Miller has been limited to just two first class games, after missing the first three rounds as he recuperated from surgery. He then missed the last two rounds after being called up for West Indies duty.However, he made a huge impact in the two matches he played, snapping up a whopping 23 wickets as Scorpions beat Leeward Islands Hurricanes and Windward Islands Volcanoes handily, to post their first wins of the season.Miller said he was also focused on performing well in the Regional Super50 as he eyed selection for the World Cup qualifiers in Zimbabwe next March.“There’s also the Super50 so I’m just looking forward to that in order to get proper practice so that if I’m selected for the qualifiers, I would be ready and prepared for that.”Miller was a surprise call-up for the New Zealand series, especially after having been ignored since playing the last of 46 ODIs during the last World Cup in New Zealand and Australia.In the third ODI at Hagley Oval here which was reduced to 23 overs per side because of rain, Miller claimed one for 26 and finished on 20 not out, as West Indies suffered a 3-0 whitewash in the series.Despite the result, Miller said he was pleased with his performance.“I felt really good to be back. It was a tough return, yes,” he conceded.“First of all, the weather was very poor but in terms of the game I don’t think that we executed properly when we batted. New Zealand really batted well and they bowled well as well.“In terms of my performance, I think I did okay with the ball and also with the bat so it was a pretty good return.”The regional first class season resumes January 4 with the eighth round.
Two of Rudy Giuliani’s business associates with ties to Florida have been charged with conspiracy and campaign finance violations.The Ukrainian businessmen Igor Fruman and Lev Parnas were detained at Dulles International Airport in northern Virginia on Thursday.Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were arrested on a four-count indictment that includes charges of conspiracy, making false statements to the Federal Election Commission, and falsification of records.Parnas and Fruman were central to Giuliani’s efforts to get government officials in Ukraine to investigate business dealings by former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter in the war-torn former Soviet republic.An unnamed Congressman is also referenced in a federal indictment.A court document in a separate case alleges that Parnas and Fruman had bragged about their close relationships with key allies of the president, including Giuliani, former Trump-aide-turned Washington lobbyist Brian Ballard and Nick Ayers, who is the former chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence.Parnas and Fruman, who have been sent a letter from House Democrats last week requesting documents and deposition, along with Giuliani, recently hired President Trump’ former lawyer John Dowd.Dowd announced in a statement earlier this week that his clients won’t be able to comply with House Democrats’ request for documents and deposition.It is unclear at this time whether this will affect Trump or his administration.Related content:Report: Ukrainian-American businessmen in Florida linked to Rudy Giuliani
Last year, former Chicago Bulls basketball player Scottie Pippen returned to the spotlight, when news media outlets announced the now retired player was bordering on bankruptcy after having earned a reported $120 million through the course of his career. But Pippen’s story is far too common in the world of professional sports where money is spent freely and players are taken advantage of by managers who mishandle their earnings and investments. It is this same fate that 48-year-old Nicole Bozeman is trying to avoid for her son, Ezekiel Marshall, a college basketball player for the University of Akron in Ohio. To help her son navigate next year’s NBA draft and guide him through an anticipated future NBA career, the McKeesport mom has enrolled in Point Park University’s sport, arts and entertainment management program.“There are many, many professional athletes who are bankrupt now, who had management who did not take care of them so as a mother, I don’t want my son to go through that,” Bozeman said. “I know I already have the skill set, having worked as an executive assistant for an attorney, so I said why can’t I be his manager? Why not take it another step? So that’s where I decided I needed to go back to school.”At seven-feet in height, Marshall had a variety of schools to choose from before he landed on Akron in the hometown of NBA superstar Lebron James. Now there, the junior center is shooting 51 percent from the field and averaging 2.8 blocks per game.Bozeman enrolled in the Point Park program in August 2010 when her son was entering his sophomore year at Akron. She expects to graduate in 2013, the same year her son could graduate from college and enter the NBA draft.“When my son was playing basketball in high school and we would have recruiters come out, I was the point of contact so this is not new to me. I realized that I wanted to do more,” Bozeman said. “On the sports’ side I’ve learned things I didn’t know so it shored up what I knew as a consumer and gave me more insight behind the scenes that I didn’t know. A lot of the other classes I have to take, the strategic planning, the business, have been very helpful.”Bozeman said the reality television family the Kardashians, of “Keeping up with the Kardashians” fame, has been an inspiration to her. Led by “momager” Kris Jenner, the family has parlayed reality show fame into product endorsements and a clothing line, among many others.“With any athlete, half of success is how a person market’s themselves; it’s having a brand and branding yourself outside of what you’re doing. We know that your career can sometimes only be five years so my goal is to brand and market my son outside and off the court,” Bozeman said. “You have those professional athletes whose income is not based solely on their performance on the court; it’s what they do off the court, the products, the endorsements. It’s those things that I’m looking to do.”While at Akron, Marshall is studying computer science and hopes to one day own his own computer company. While Bozeman has worked to advance her son toward a professional basketball career, she said she will support him in whatever he plans to do.“We are very, very close. Ezekiel and I have a very special mother son bond and I think with the path he’s taken in his life, Ezekiel knows my desire is for him to be successful in any area he goes into,” Bozeman said. “His desire is to own his own computer company. He’s a gamer. So after college, after the NBA, that’s what he’s going to go into. There’s always going to be that balance.” MCKEESPORT MOM—Nicole Bozeman studies the ins and outs of sports management at Point Park University to help her son Ezekiel Marshall.
KMN Racing, LLC, the owners of the late Shared Belief, will be auctioning off a limited edition print of the Eclipse Award Winner on opening day of the Winter Meet, December 26, 2016.The print features Shared Belief’s spectacular win over California Chrome in the 2015 San Antonio Invitational Handicap at Santa Anita Park and is signed by Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith, and radio personality and co-owner, Jim Rome.The silent auction will be conducted next to Champions! Gift Shop, in the East Paddock Gardens throughout the day, with 100% of the proceeds to be donated to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund (PDJF).The Story Behind the Painting: When Shared Belief passed, Kim and Kevin Nish of KMN Racing knew that there was only one person they would entrust with memorializing one of their horse’s greatest moments. They turned to their good friend, artist John Rowe, and commissioned two paintings of Shared Belief’s win in the San Antonio where he defeated California Chrome. One of these paintings was given to friend and partner, Jim Rome. From that painting, a set of canvas prints were made and given to each member of the Shared Belief Team – Jerry Hollendorfer, the Todaro’s, Alex Solis II, Jason Litt, Mike Smith, Russell Baze, Armando Rodriguez and Steve Bourmas.An extra four prints were made which have been signed by Jerry Hollendorfer, Mike Smith and Jim Rome and each will be silently auctioned off at California racetracks where Shared Belief won with all monies raised to be donated to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.About the Artist:John Rowe has done other paintings for the Nish’s, specifically one of Mizdirection winning her first Breeders’ Cup, and two of Lutine Belle winning the Blue Norther Stakes, with one going to jockey Alex Solis in honor of his 5,000th career win. Other equestrian works of his include the movie poster for the 2003 film, “The Young Black Stallion” as well as several notable book covers. Visit his website here. Visit: http://www.santaanita.com/events/shared-belief-silent-auction/#.WFwuklMrKUk
Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netANTIPOLO — Turning over a new leaf in 2018, Calvin Abueva believes that Alaska’s disastrous run last year is already a thing of the past.“We already buried our losing streak in 2017,” Abueva said in Filipino.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding “This 2018, it’s a new goal that we’re building this year,” said Abueva.The Aces are currently on a three-game winning run after a 97-83 victory over Ginebra on Sunday in a game where they surged ahead in the second half after trailing by nine in the first two quarters.“We lost our focus on our execution and on our defense in the first half. But in the second half, the coaches allowed us to settle down and think of the things we felt we needed to do with our defense and that’s how we got the victory,” said Abueva in Filipino.Abueva finished with nine points, nine rebounds, five assists, two steals, and two blocks to back up Vic Manuel, who had 18 points, five boards, and two assists.“I’m just doing my role as a veteran of this team. I’m just trying to show what I can do and double my efforts,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Read Next Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Regular fixtures in the playoffs, the Aces plummeted in the standings in the 2016-17 season.Alaska suffered an early exit in the quarterfinals courtesy of eventual runner-up Ginebra in its bid for a third straight finals appearance in the Philippine Cup last year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThings didn’t get better from there as the Aces figured in the bottom half of the standings in the import-laden conferences where they suffered a 13-game slide.But that was then, and after two losses to start the new season, 2018 was nothing but great for Alaska. NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Key players’ absence, Tenorio’s struggles too much for Ginebra to hurdle Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH MOST READ Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Abueva, though, said that the Aces can’t get too ahead of themselves as they seek to keep their roll going.“We’re just thinking of sustaining this and prepare for Blackwater. I hope we can continue this and extend our winning streak,” he said. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments
Managing Director of the National Housing Trust (NHT), Cecile Watson, says that there will be no reduction in the number of schemes developed by the Trust, even while it contributes $11 billion per year to the national purse.She was responding to questions at a Jamaica House press briefing held at the Office of the Prime Minister on Thursday, February 21.She noted that on Wednesday, February 20, the Trust presented keys for 918 housing solutions at Longville Park in Clarendon. Approximately 882 families will benefit from the scheme, which was built at a cost of $4.8 billion.She also said Hellshire phase four in St. Catherine will come on stream in August with 250 solutions, as well as another 250 solutions in Perth, Manchester to be launched next month. Overall, the NHT is committed to the completion of another 10 schemes.“The intention is to shift the benefit down to the lower income earners, so that they become more affordable. We don’t want to be building houses that persons cannot afford,” Mrs. Watson explained.The NHT will be contributing $44 billion over a four-year period to help with the country’s debt management. The move is critical in securing a funding agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).The Trust’s Managing Director said there will be a deliberate thrust to ensure that the agency remains viable over the period.She added that as part of this focus, the Trust will be modifying its business plan to ensure the shoring up of surplus.