Unai Emery has suggested that Arsenal’s summer spending spree is over, with Celtic defender Kieran Tierney seemingly no longer a top priority.The Gunners were tipped by many to take in a quiet window, with there a supposedly limited budget on offer in north London.Nicolas Pepe has, however, been acquired in a club record £72 million ($88m) transfer, while Dani Ceballos, Gabriel Martinelli and William Saliba have been snapped up on loan and permanent deals. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? It could be that business is now over at Emirates Stadium.Celtic full-back Tierney has been pursued for some time, with £25m ($30m) put on the table at one stage, but no agreement has been reached.The same is true when it comes to a protracted saga involving Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha, with the Ivory Coast international still on the books of a Premier League rival.With there time before the deadline passes, it could be that Arsenal decide to splash the cash again if the right player becomes available.For now, though, Emery appears to be happy with the squad he has pieced together.He told reporters after a 2-1 friendly defeat to Barcelona when quizzed on his recruitment plans: “It has not changed, our idea and our message.“Only if we can sign a player who really, really can improve our squad, then we are going to do that.“If not, then not.“We have good competitive players to achieve or try to achieve our target this season and we are going to be looking at something if we can sign someone, but with this idea.“Only, and only, if we can improve.”Emery has already moved to quieten talk of Arsenal making a potential loan swoop for Barcelona’s former Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho.It had been suggested that the Brazil international would be sounded out in a bid to bring more creativity onto the Gunners’ books.Emery, though, insists such a move has never been discussed, telling Cadena Ser of those rumours: “We’ve never talked about Coutinho.“He’s a splendid player, but we haven’t talked about Coutinho at any time.”
LUBBOCK, TX -NOVEMBER 22: A general view of the football field and fans at Jones SBC Stadium during the game between the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Tech Red Raiders on November 22, 2003 in Lubbock, Texas. The Sooners won 56-25. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)Texas Tech starting quarterback Alan Bowman suffered a scary injury during Saturday’s loss to West Virginia. He left the game after being hurt, and afterwards TT head coach Kliff Kingsbury confirmed Bowman suffered a partially collapsed lung.As of this morning, Bowman remains at Covenant Hospital in Lubbock. It doesn’t seem like he is in any danger, but continues to be monitored and cared for.Bowman has already been declared out indefinitely.Tech official says QB Alan Bowman still at Covenant Hospital this morning, being treated and monitored for the partially collapsed lung he suffered Saturday.— Don Williams (@AJ_DonWilliams) October 3, 2018Before his injury, Bowman was off to a blistering start to his college career. A 6-foot-3 freshman, he has thrown for 1,680 yards, 11 touchdowns and three interceptions on the season.His top performance was a 605-yard, five touchdown output in a 63-49 shootout win over Houston in Week 3.Records broken on this play:➡️ #TexasTech single game receiving yards (Antoine Wesley, 261)➡️ Big 12 single-game freshman passing record (Alan Bowman, 605 yards, a record previously held by @PatrickMahomes5 ?)?#WreckEm⚫️ pic.twitter.com/UMrRgLugA9— Texas Tech Football (@TexasTechFB) September 15, 2018Texas Tech is 3-2 on the season following the loss to West Virginia. They have a bye week this Saturday, and will play again on Thursday, Oct. 11 against TCU.The game against the Horned Frogs will be aired on ESPN at 7:30 p.m. ET.
13 August 2007The United Nations today called for increased steps to protect civilians in Afghanistan as conflict and insecurity continue to affect thousands of people, with the number of those killed doubling from 2005 to 2006 and resurgent fighting in the south driving 80,000 others from their homes during the same period. The United Nations today called for increased steps to protect civilians in Afghanistan as conflict and insecurity continue to affect thousands of people, with the number of those killed doubling from 2005 to 2006 and resurgent fighting in the south driving 80,000 others from their homes during the same period.“The safety of the Afghan people must be our first priority,” Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s Special Representative Tom Koenigs told the opening session of a three-day workshop in Kabul, the capital, focused on the “Protection of Civilians in Afghanistan.” “It is civilians who continue to bear the brunt of insecurity and conflict in Afghanistan. We all have a responsibility to redouble our efforts to ensure the safety and welfare of Afghanistan’s people,” he said. Lack of security has rendered much of the southern region inaccessible for the delivery of humanitarian assistance, and largely prohibits the access needed for the investigation of deaths and injuries of those caught up in the conflict. The workshop brings together over 80 representatives from all sectors, including the Government, the Afghan armed forces and police, the International Security Assistance Force, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and UN agencies, key donors, the International Committee of the Red Cross and national and international non-governmental organizations. Academic institutions and Afghan civil society, including community and religious leaders, are also taking part. “We want the recommendations emerging from this workshop to lay the foundation for developing a strong and effective protection framework for civilians across Afghanistan,” Mr. Koenigs said. “We want to maintain the momentum of this workshop, and gear ourselves to adapt in the best possible way to ensure conflict prevention and the safety of people.”