Marshawn Lynch is calling it a career – again – as ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Wednesday morning that Beast Mode doesn’t plan to play football again.Lynch first retired after the 2015 season simply by tweeting a picture of cleats hanging from a telephone pole wire, only to return with his hometown Oakland Raiders in 2017.Lynch played 21 games over two seasons for the Raiders, running for 1,267 yards and 10 touchdowns on 4.3 yards per carry.He turned 33 on Monday and is coming off groin …
Eleven militants used two cars and one motorbike to carry out the attack on a bus carrying Amarnath pilgrims on July 10 last year in Kashmir and “the spot and the target was picked just days before the attack”, says the Special Investigation Team (SIT) that filed a chargesheet against the accused on Monday.Speaking to The Hindu, SIT head and Superintendent of Police (SP) Tahir Ashraf Bhatti said, “The Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists, including locals, and its head Abu Ismail, picked the spot and the target just a few days before the attack. It was executed by four terrorists directly, with others being assigned their role to provide logistics and keep an eye on the movement of the yatri bus.”According to the 1,500-page SIT report, the bus got disconnected from its security cover first at Pantha Chowk, where the pilgrims picked up more associates, and “later developed a technical snag”, which was attended to at Awantipora.The movement of the bus was monitored “constantly by the militants before it reached Anantnag’s Batengo area”, where militants opened fire. The militants used code language on phones to convey the status of the bus, and if it had security cover.According to the charge sheet, Pakistan-based militants Abu Ismail alias Haroon, Maaviya and Furqan were part of the attack. All the three were killed in encounters in Srinagar and Qazigund last year.Of the 11 accused, four persons, including a juvenile, have been arrested. “Three are still absconding,” it said.
The Bombay High Court at Goa has refused to amend its March 28 order stopping ore transportation in Goa. However, the court advanced the date of the next hearing by a week. Three mining companies — affected by the high court order to ban transport of ore since the stoppage of mining activity in 88 Supreme Court-cancelled mining leases came into operation — and the Mormugao Port Trust(MPT) had filed a review petition against the order directing the government to stop the ore transportation until final notice.Simultaneously, the High Court also included mining firms which had filed review petition, as respondents in the original contempt petition filed by Goa Foundation, an environmental NGO. The mining companies which have filed the review petition are Fomento Resources, Vedanta, and V M Salgaoncar.The mining firms argued that the transportation was of ‘royalty paid’ ore, and that the Supreme Court order shutting down Goa mining operations did not say anything about transportation of this ore.Declining to accept the plea on the grounds that it could not revise its own order, the High Court said it would hear the affected parties at the next hearing on April 11 instead of April 18.The court asked the government to submit a report on the quantity of ore exported till March 15, and also since March 16.Late on Thursday evening, the Goa Mineral Ore Exporters Association(GMOEA, body of iron ore miners and exporters, issued a press release saying the mining leaseholders will evaluate the High Court order in the light of the Supreme Court order, “as our principal order is the Supreme Court order”.Mining operations in Goa came to a grinding halt formally on March 16 after the February 7 order of Supreme Court quashing renewals of 88 mining leases came into effect and also its order to shut down all activities until the leases are renewed.
After 25 years of consecutive run, the BJP on Thursday lost the Panaji Assembly constituency to Congress’s Atanasio Monserrate by 1,758 votes. The seat was represented by the late Goa Chief Minister and former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar for a maximum of the period since 1994.While Mr. Monserrate polled 8,748 votes, the BJP candidate polled 6,990 votes. AAP’s Valmiki Naik and Subhash Velingkar of the Goa Suraksha Manch polled 236 and 516 votes, respectively. “This is a victory of the Congress party and a vote for the development of the State capital, which it was deprived of, for the last so many years,” Mr. Monserrate said after the result was announced. The bypoll in Panaji Assembly constituency was held following the death of MLA and Chief Minister Parrikar on March 17 following a prolonged battle with pancreatic cancer. Mr. Parrikar had first won in Panaji in 1994 and retained it until 2014 when he was inducted in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet. In his absence, the seat was represented twice by his aide Mr. Kuncalienkar. On his return to State politics in 2017, Manohar Parrikar was once again elected as Panaji MLA in a bypoll held following his taking over as Chief Minister of BJP-led coalition government. The BJP’s campaign had received a setback after party workers resented the manner in which the late Parrikar’s elder son Utpal was snubbed by the party’s State leadership in his bid for the ticket for the Panaji bypoll. In his FB post on Thursday, Utpal Parrikar said that the loss of Panaji seat was very painful.“Having said that, I am only reminded of words uttered by our late leader Atalji when BJP was reduced to two seats in Lok Sabha. “Darkness will be dispelled, Sun will rise and Lotus will bloom”. In democracy, collective wisdom always lies with the people. Hard work is needed to win back people’s trust,” said Mr.Utpal.