What started as a day of fun in the water soon turned into a nightmare for one Alabama family.Ricky Rutherford and his family enjoyed a day of kayaking on the Tennessee River in Waterloo last Saturday, but the carefree outing left Rutherford in the hospital after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria. He was infected despite having no open cuts or sores, which is usually how a waterborne bacteria is contracted.Rutherford’s wife Cassey noticed that he was running a fever the night after returning from the river.“He came home with a 103 temperature,” Cassey Rutherford said. “There were not signs of anything else just the fever.”By Tuesday, Rutherford could hardly walk and there was a concerning spot on his leg. Rutherford was taken to the hospital, where he had surgery to remove the infected area. The doctors confirmed that it was Necrotizing Fasciitis, a rare flesh-eating bacteria.“I don’t want anyone else to go through this,” Cassey said. “Saturday I was having to think about burying the love of my life.”Doctors say Ricky has made it through the most dangerous part of the ordeal and will be back home by the end of the week.